Breed Consulting Services
Owning a dog is a huge responsibility, and many people spend a great deal of time deciding whether or not to be dog owners. However, once the initial decision is made, you then find yourself wading through a myriad of questions and options available to potential new owners.
- Should I get a puppy or an adult?
- Should I get a mixed breed, or a purebred?
- What type of dog should I get?
- Will this dog fit my lifestyle?
- Who should I buy from?
- What should I be looking for?
- How do I know this isn't a backyard breeder?
- Where do I get any of this information????
The answers to these questions aren't the same for everyone. This is why getting a whirlwind of "helpful" information from a variety of your closest facebook friends often ends in a less than perfect fit between a newly acquired dog and it's family. Nowadays choosing a dog is made even more difficult by the excessive amount of misinformation and misdirection created to fool unsuspecting dog lovers into paying high prices or believing heart-wrenching stories in the name of selling dogs.
We offer a thorough and professional consulting service for any person or family wishing to add a new dog to their life. After years working in rescue, and the dog world in general, we simply wish to lesson the number of rehomed dogs, and help people make their first choice the right choice. With years of experience and networking within the dog world, let us remove the stress of figuring out the who, what, where, when and how of acquiring your new family member so you can simply enjoy the experience of dog ownership.
A breed consult will consist of a 1.5 - 2 hour interview about you, your family, your lifestyle, and what your expectations of the new dog will be. Dog experience in the family, existing dogs, kids, cats, housing situations and more will all be taken into consideration. Breed and size preferences will be inquired about, however, keep in mind we are here for your future pup just as much as we are for you. If you would like to own a purebred working line border collie, but have no dog experience, no intention of participating in dog sports, are in a busy active family with very little spare time, and live in a small apartment... we will not recommend that dog, nor will we help you find one. This service exists to help you identify and acquire an appropriate and well-suited dog for you and your family, it is not a service to help you acquire a "pure bred (insert breed here)" or a status symbol.
By using a professional consult, you can help ensure:
- You WON'T be purchasing a dog from a backyard breeder
- You WON'T be purchasing a dog from a puppy mill
- You WILL be able to identify the dog, or breed, that best suits your life
- You WILL be using a reputable rescue or responsible breeder
- You WILL be aware of potential breed issues beforehand
- You WON'T be caught unaware of a potential behaviour issue
- You WILL get a written summary of our recommendation including, recommended age, sex, breed type, size, temperament, energy level, and a list of researched and reputable breeders or rescues.
Let us do the leg work and chase down your perfect pooch, removing potential issues before they even start.
Breed Consult Fee - $75
Meet and Greet Fee - $15
*If you purchased a breed consult, but wish to have us assess a potential recommended dog in person we will absolutely come out and do so! However, we will be charging a fee to cover travel time and gas.